The WNY ULTRA Hiking Challenge was made for those of us that are a bit crazy; those that enjoy pushing the limits of their hiking capacity both mentally and physically. If you are reading this, you are one of those nuts. Welcome to the WNY ULTRA Challenge.
The ULTRA hikes are all between 15-25 miles and travel across some of the most beautiful parts of WNY. If you complete the ULTRA, you will also complete several of the WNY Hiking Challenge hikes, if you remember to get a selfie at the landmark.
The Ultra Challenge will be an optional ($10) add-on to the main WNY Hiking Challenge. For an additional $10 you will get another packet of maps. Finish all 5 Ultra trails and you will earn the Ultra patch and sticker (and the respect of your fellow hikers).
- U1 Banana Pancakes Ultra (21.1 miles) – Traverse Allegany State Park via FLT/NCT and summit Mt. Tuscarora.
- U2 Scrambled Eggs Ultra (19.25 miles) – Yikes, Holland Ravines through the Erie Co Forest on the Conservation Branch Trail of the FLT.
- U3 Breakfast for Dinner Ultra (16.5 miles) – Start at the base of the Holimont ski hill and follow the FLT to Little Rock City and back.
- U4 Biscuits and Gravy Ultra (21.0 miles) – Letchworth Branch Trail of the FLT north to south, enough said.
- U5 Western Omelette (16.6 miles) – Start low, finish high and see every part of the Niagara Gorge.
ULTRA Challenge Rules
- Complete all five (5) trails March 21, 2021 and November 19, 2021, inclusive.
- The each trail must be completed in a 24 hour period.
- Submit a picture of your recorded track from your favorite GPS tracking app. Must show route, distance, and time.
- Upload your picture to the submission page (https://outsidechronicles.com/upload).
- (Optional) Post your picture to WNY Hiking Challenge Facebook Group or on Instagram.
How do I register for the WNY ULTRA Challenge?
To register for the ULTRA Challenge, you must register for the WNY Hiking Challenge. There is an option at registration to add on the ULTRA for $10. After all, its for a good cause!
What’s in it for me?
Hikers completing the ULTRA Challenge will receive an ULTRA patch and sticker. You will also be revered by the WNY hiking community as a total bad ass.
How do I track my hike?
You can use your Apple, Garmin, Fitbit, or Suunto GPS watch as long as you can display a summary screen. If you do not have a GPS watch, there are several great, free activity tracking apps. We suggest trying out the following:
Can I complete the ULTRA hike by camping?
Absolutely, as long as you camp in designated areas or within the rules of the park AND you finish the ULTRA in 24 hours. You will need to prove you did the whole hike. You can only upload one picture.
What does a route summary screen look like?