Terms & Conditions and Guidelines for submitting blog posts
Anyone may submit Blog Posts (i.e. short stories about experiences in outside activities such as hiking, camping, trekking, paddling, biking, skiing, etc) for publication on the Outside Chronicles Blog. Any submission is subject to the following Terms and Conditions for Submission, and must comply with the applicable Guidelines for Submission below.
Terms and conditions for Submission of texts for publication on the Blog
Individuals may submit material under the following conditions:
- Disclaimer – Under no circumstances or in any way can Outside Chronicles, their owners, or persons otherwise affiliated with the aforementioned be held liable in respect of any material submitted and published at this Blog, and cannot be held responsible for its content and accuracy by a User. Nonetheless, we will, if notified and having satisfied ourselves of the bona fides of the notification, remove any content that might constitute a legal violation, such as material submitted in potential breach of copyright.
- Copyright – By submitting material for publication, you guarantee that you are the original copyright holder of the work in question, and you own the legal rights to use the information. As such, we have no legal liability regarding any copyright claims, but will simply remove offending articles as/when we are advised of any breaches.
- Review – Any material submitted will be reviewed by the editors of Outside Chronicles, which decides on its publication. The publication of any material submitted will be at the sole discretion of Outside Chronicles.
- Reservation of Rights – We reserve the right to accept, reject or remove any material submitted for publication with no explanation.
- Offensive content – Any material deemed defamatory, racist, or otherwise illegal or offending will in any case not be approved for publication.
- Non-exclusive license for publication – By submitting materials, you grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to republish any material you submit to us in any format, including without limitation print and electronic format. In particular, you agree that we can make it available in this Blog as well as in any other Outside Chronicles publications and/or media or social media, provided that due credit is given to the author.
- Acknowledgment – You acknowledge that any breach of the abovementioned warranties may cause us damage or loss and you agree to indemnify us in full and permanently against any third party liabilities, claims, costs, loss or damage we incur as a result of publishing material you submit to us, including consequential losses.
Guidelines for the submission of Blog Posts
- What? – Blog Posts are short stories about experiences in outside activities such as hiking, camping, trekking, paddling, biking, skiing, etc. The objective is to entertain the reader and provide reference information on the activity details.
- Subject matter – Posts should recount an adventure or experience the author had during outside activities. The material should retell the story in an entertaining fashion. In addition to the written text, authors should submit pictures, videos, maps, GPS routes, etc to provide the readers with enough detail to visit the location of the experience. Authors must also submit the following:
- Book – Any books read during the experience, if none, then a recommendation.
- Lessons learned – Any lessons learned that could help the reader visit the location of the story or provide skill, spiritual or personal growth.
- Favorite gear used – List one or more favorite gear items used during the experience and why.
- Gear you wished you had – List one or more gear items you forgot to bring or you wished you had and why.
- Favorite meal – Give your favorite meal (recipe optional) of the experience, this could be a restaurant.
- Word count – There is no hard limit on Blog Posts. As a general guideline, Blog Posts should be 1000-1500 words
- References – Should be included in text where necessary, but given the nature of a Blog Post generally be kept to a minimum. Any citations should include links to the original content.
- English – While we appreciate the truly international nature of the outside community, however, we only accept materials submitted in English to ensure that we reach a maximum number of Users.
- Clear language – All Blog Posts should be written in a clear language, with observation of rules of English grammar and spelling. We accept posts complying with either U.S. or U.K. rules of spelling, provided that one system is used consistently throughout the Blog Post.
- Structure – Contributors are encouraged to enhance the clarity of their Blog Post by a clear structure. Such structure may be achieved by using paragraphs or subtitles, where appropriate.
- Capitals – Capitals are generally to be avoided, unless necessary or appropriate for the sake of clarity.
- Text formatting – The text must be formatted in Ariel 10 point, with single spacing. All embedded formatting must be removed.
- Microsoft Word Document – All materials must be submitted in Microsoft Word-format or other compatible format.