Guided Winter Backpacking Trip
February 5, 2022
Earl Cardot Eastside Overland Trail
Winter backpacking introduces new challenges and risks. You learn to deal with the cold using winter-rated gear and techniques. This trip will prepare participants for dealing with frozen conditions in safe and effective ways. Hike will be 2.0-2.5 one way to camp.
Participants should have minimally a 0° degree sleeping bag and sleeping pad with an R-value > 3.
If you do not own these items, they can be rented at an affordable rate.
Pre-Trip (Zoom, multiple sessions)
- 10 Essentials
- Winter backpacking gear list
- Shelter options (tent or lean-to)
- Winter backpacking strategies
- Meal and snack selection
- Trip plans and itinerary
- Review concerns (pre-existing health conditions, special needs, allergies)
- Answer questions
- Meet at trailhead (If you are on time, you are late!)
- Distribute group gear
- Check personal gear, supplies, adjust backpacks & make final plans
- Begin hiking
- Learn and discuss basic land navigation, water treatment, and first aid
- Arrive at camp, learn and discuss campsite selection, campsite setup, bear bag hanging, fire starting (if regulations allow)
- Dinner and clean-up
- Additional skills instruction
- Push-ups, sit-ups, and 5k trail run (just kidding!)
- Personal time/lights out
- Breakfast and clean-up
- Campsite breakdown
- Hike out
- Farewells and decide on next adventure
** Trip includes a Licensed, Insured NYS Guide, group camp gear (stoves, water purification, and first aid). Participants are required to bring their own backpacking gear including tents, sleep systems, and food. If you need any gear, please let us know by contacting Mike@outsidechronicles.com.
A refund will be given for a cancellation request more than 48 hours before the scheduled event. No shows or cancellations less than 48 hours of the scheduled event will not be refunded.